Ask a Silly Question
An Alternative FAQ
Copyright © by Lady Zenobia Per-Akhet and M. Awen Dreamcatcher 2003
- Do you worship parrots? (it's a weak joke, I know, but the polyfiller one
Yes, if they are divine parrots.
- How do you know that Hecate and Kali and the Morrighan aren't all the
same Goddess? They look the same to me.
It would be more profitable for you to consider how you look
- If you worship gods that you have met, does this mean you don't believe
the other gods exist?
Not at all. We have met all the gods in existence, including the parrot
ones. We make a point of doing this. In fact, it will be a precondition for
- Pagans often say they don't worship their gods ~ so what do you do with
Play scrabble. Go down the pub. Screw. Go out for a curry. Clean the
house. Depends what day it is.
- Are you just a bunch of people who hate Wiccans because some High
Priestess wouldn't initiate you into her coven?
Not quite. We have been refused initiation in every Wiccan coven in
existence (this is also a precondition of membership).
- If you believe in lots of gods, why don't you believe in Jesus too?
Which Jesus do you mean?
- Wasn't there some statue of Isis dug up with the words "all goddesses are
the one goddess" written on it? Doesn't that prove that ancient pagans were
monolatrist, and not really polytheist at all?
It proves that somebody carved those words on a statue of
Isis, which somebody later dug up. Possibly one and the same person.
- Why do you deny that cavemen all worshipped the Great Mother, when
archaeologsts have proven it? Aren't you just playing into the hands of the
Church who want to divide and conquer us?
Those archaeologists are secret monotheists working clandestinely, we
suspect, with Opus Dei, the Dominican Order and the Guild of the Virgin
- If you don't believe in the Great Goddess that must be because you're
collaborating with the patriarchal oppressors ~ how can you, as a wimmmyn, possibly do this?
We deeply resent the inherent sexism in that question. To deny any being
the freedom of transgendering is repressive in the extreme. Shame on you.
- How come you don't cast circles and invoke the four elements?
You've got that slightly wrong: we simply know more ways of consecrating
ritual space and more forms of invocation of more entities than five.
- What's the point of being purist, when the ancients were so eclectic? I
mean, look at the Romans!
No, they were syncretic, not eclectic. To be eclectic means to choose from
the best of many sources.
- If you're trying to recreate the past, does that mean you'll start
burning people in wicker men or enslaving them?
An it harm none, I don't see why not.
- Is it true that polytheists are just a bunch of elitist snobs?
If I were, I wouldn't be talking to you, would I?